As part of of this years World Mental Health Day campaign Sound Mind Africa will be holding a FREE Guided Meditation session from 8-9am on Saturday 10th October at A Whitespace 58 Raymond Njoku Street, SW Ikoyi. For more information email: soundmindafrica@gmail.
com or call: 09095329022.
In the fast-paced world that we live in, we often do not take the time to clear our heads and be truly present in our surroundings. Meditation is a mindfulness practice that allows you to “let go” and be present in the moment. With all the demands of work and home we’re often placing large amounts of stress on not only our physical but mental health.
Benefits of Meditation
Because practicing meditation helps you to slow your breath, quiet your mind, and find peace, it can be beneficial physically, mentally, and emotionally.
• Stimulates your nervous system, which help your body return to a calm, relaxed state after the threat of danger, or even daily stress, has passed.
• Clears your mind for better quality sleep.
• Improves performance by refining your ability to focus on a goal or situation (another term for meditationused in this way is visualization).
• Boosts your immune system by slowing the production of the stress hormone cortisol.
Mental and Emotional Benefits
· Reduces anxiety and depression by enabling your body to balance its own neurochemical system.
· Allows you to make better decisions and improve critical thinking.
· Breaks unhealthy habits by helping you detach emotions associated with an action from the action itself.
· Improves communication with yourself. When you better understand your thought processes, you have more control over what you think.
· Helps you stay in the present moment. When you let go of the past and the future, you live 100 percent in the now, which affects all aspects of your life and relationships.
P.J. Okocha will lead the meditation session. PJ trained in Hong Kong and has been meditating for 8 years. He recently began leading sessions in Lagos as an opportunity to share his knowledge.
World Mental Health Day
Money Management and Meditation:
blog/2014/09/26/ask-the- readers-would-you-try-meditati on-to-improve-your-finances/
Meditation and Heart Health:
Conditions/More/ MyHeartandStrokeNews/Meditatio n-and-Heart-Disease-Stroke_ UCM_452930_Article.jsp
Stress Relief and Meditation: