Monday 20 October 2014

Knives in My Throat: Documentary About a Black Woman, Bipolar Disorder &...





I came across a wonderful PSA from Abiola Abrams on Youtube and I felt it important to share some of her work…

The full title is "Knives in My Throat: The Year I Survived When My Mind Tried to Kill Me." Taqiyya lived in Harlem, NY at the time and her family lived in Long Island. She was 25 when this film was made and is now in her 30s, happy and healthy with a family of her own. This is a film about race, class, family, mental health awareness and removing taboos.

Documentary Episode 1: http://youtu.be/xeg0FKH-Rhc

Documentary Episode 2: An Important movie about depression, suicide, love, survival and family. | Abiola Abrams worked with her to find healing and reduce stigmas around depression and mental illness in African Americans using drama therapy and spoken word poetry as a healing tool. The first film to address mental health for black women in the hip hop generation.

Trigger warning. Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline



Find more at: http://AbiolaTV.com


No comments:

Post a Comment